Cerebral Vascular Accident (Stroke)
Patients who recover from Wernicke’s aphasia report that, while aphasic, they found the speech of others to be unintelligible and, despite being cognizant of the fact that they were speaking, they could neither stop themselves nor understand their own words.
Patients also generally have no trouble purposefully reciting anything they have memorized. The ability to utter profanity is also left unaffected, however the patient typically has no control over it, and may not even understand their own profanity.
Challenge – Needs pictures with auditory feedback to relearn lost vocabulary and to act as a translator for their communication partner. Usually needs a small portable device. Though vision may restrict how small that can be. May need digital photos on the buttons instead of symbols.
Broca's Aphasia – Expressive Aphasia, speech is difficult to initiate, non-fluent, labored, and halting. Similarly, writing is difficult as well. Usually can read and understand phrases but it becomes more difficult and the world level and almost impossible at the number and letter level.
Challenge - Needs a device with phrases and pictures. May want a smaller device but still need it mounted to wheelchair if not ambulatory.
Global Aphasia – Presents with a variety of symptoms similar to those above. Think of unexpected holes in their thought process. May do well with some topics and be completely lost when conversing about others.
• Customizable software to meet individual language deficits
• Universal software that is well know and familiar to providers all over the world
• Ability to support multiple languages
• Easy to use and implement
• Preprogrammed content to make getting started easy
• Ability to easily integrate digital images on patient’s environment and items.
• Durable casing
• Rugged commercial grade tablet PC
• Large enough screen to be easily read yet small enough to be portable
• Full windows platform to support secondary rehabilitation software on an open devices
• Ability to perform normal task such as email, word processing, etc… on open devices
• Ability to lock out computer functions and make the device a dedicated solution for communication only